A new survey conducted exclusively for BuzzFeed found that as more advertisers are featuring depictions of LGBT people in their ads, more Americans are getting on board.
Here are a couple of key points taken from the survey of 500 people:
- 80% agreed that “showing gay or lesbian people in ads simply reflects the reality of our society today”
- 60% agreed that “brands that show same-sex couples are being appropriately inclusive”
- 57% said “it’s cool when I see same-sex couples in ads”
- 40% said “TV ads are no place for same-sex couples”
- 72% said they consider brands with LGBT-inclusive ads “brave”
The article linked above explains more about the survey data, while this longer BuzzFeed article dives deeper into how brands are using inclusive advertising to reach out to more audiences. As GLAAD’s Sarah Kate Ellis said, “It’s about time my children were able to turn on the television and see families like their own represented in mainstream advertising.”
What do you think?
Think about it this way: Eventually, it’ll be a lot less than 40 percent.