I have decided to stand aside. … But make no mistake, I’ll continue to be a strong voice.Michele Bachmann • Announcing that she’s suspending her campaign during a speech Wednesday morning. Her speech focused heavy on history and the Affordable Care Act. “I have no regrets, none whatsoever,” she said. “We have never compromised our principles.”
Perry says he will go back to Texas and reassess his candidacy. That’s big news. But he looks relieved in a way. If you out-spend your opponents by this vast amount and come in fifth, you really need to drop out. And it looks as if he will.Andrew Sullivan’s take on Rick Perry, who plans to head back to Texas to reconsider whether he wants to keep running for president. Bachmann, however, is still in the race.
- Forty-one percent of Iowa voters still haven’t picked a candidate
- Democrats set up “war room” in Iowa
- Democrats attack Romney with Bain lay-off stories
- President Obama to address caucus-goers
- Mitt Romney campaign confident on caucus day
- Perry to skip New Hampshire, head to South Carolina after Iowa
- All the candidates will be holding final events throughout Iowa before settling in at their respective watch parties in the evening.
- How do the Republican Iowa caucuses work anyway?: TPM has a rundown of how voting takes place on caucus night.
- Candidates make closing arguments in Iowa
That first one is exactly why, polls be damned, anything could happen today. Well, except the late-stage return of Herman Cain. Cain, by the way, says he hasn’t endorsed anyone yet, despite rumors that Newt Gingrich was atop his list.