The coolest place on the internet, according to this tagline.
Ask • Archive • FAQ
September 29, 2012
We are not saying stop free speech. We are staying stop hate speech. …You have to see that there is a provocation. You should understand the psychology of people who revere their prophet and don’t want people to insult him.
Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu, secretary general of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation • Advocating for a global ban on denigrating the character of the Islamic faith’s prophet, Muhammad. This is a red-hot issue, as it was six years ago, when a series of Danish cartoons mocking Muhammad sparked worldwide protests and riots, seeing the assault and burning of multiple Danish embassies. The distinction between “hate speech” and “free speech” seems to be a sticking point, here — one which may illicit very different answers from different people, especially across the religious/secular divide. What do you think? source
16:45 // 2 years ago
September 27, 2012
(Photo: NBC News)
LOS ANGELES — Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, the Cerritos man who many believe to be behind an anti-Muslim video that has inflamed the Islamic world, was arrested Thursday afternoon, the U.S. Attorney’s office in Los Angeles said.
It will be interesting to see how this case plays out.
19:53 // 2 years ago
September 26, 2012
Iran plans boycott of Oscars over denounced anti-Muslim film
- this year In a resounding victory for Iranian filmmakers everywhere, the drama “A Separation" won the Oscar for Best Foreign-Language Film, a victory which the Iranian government played up heavily after it happened.
- next year Don’t expect a repeat. In reaction to the incendiary film “Innocence of Muslims” — which, by the way, is an extreme long shot for a nomination — Iran is boycotting the Oscars next year. The country had planned to submit the film “A Cube of Sugar” for consideration, but not any more. source
10:13 // 2 years ago
September 20, 2012
In effort to take clip offline, “Innocence of Muslims” actress sues over film
- first try After multiple protests broke out over the controversial “Innocence of Muslims,” including one that led to the death of a U.S. ambassador, the U.S. government asked YouTube to take the clips down. YouTube refused.
- second try The U.S. government asked YouTube to reconsider their stance. While the clip is no longer viewable in some countries, YouTube again refused to take the clip down entirely.
- latest try But now, the video could get taken down for a completely different reason: Actress Cindy Lee Garcia plans to ask for an injunction so that YouTube takes the clip down. Garcia says she was duped into starring in the video, which was filmed under a different name and dubbed with anti-Muslim messages after the fact. Garcia also sued the filmmakers Wednesday. source
10:16 // 2 years ago
September 17, 2012
Google rejects White House appeal to remove “Innocence of Muslims”
- last week The White House sent a request to YouTube, asking that the “Innocence of Muslims” film be taken offline for violating the website’s Terms of Service. Parent company Google ultimately rejected the request.
- this week Following a White House request to reconsider, Google has confirmed that the video will remain online. The company confirmed that “Innocence” was no longer viewable in several countries (including Egypt and Libya), but stressed that the restrictions were due to local law and not political pressure. source
19:48 // 2 years ago