The coolest place on the internet, according to this tagline.
Ask • Archive • FAQ
February 4, 2014
Jay Leno liked joking about Bill Clinton. A lot.
- 4,607Bill Clinton jokes cracked by Jay Leno throughout his tenure as the host of The Tonight Show, the most directed at any one public figure. Here’s a little highly-unscientific statistical analysis we’ll indulge: late-night host jokes about presidents, generally not funny. Jokes about Bill Clinton, even a little less so, when you consider whatever mind-numbing percentage of those were probably Monica Lewinsky jokes. Throw in Jay Leno’s copious innate levels of unfunniness, and the above starts to look like a truly ghastly figure. George W. Bush was the first runner-up with 3,239 wisecracks. source
19:36 // 7 months ago
A prominent creationist and science personality debate the merits of creationism and evolution.
Ken Ham is the guy who made that crazy “Creation Museum” where there’s animatronic dinosaurs wearing saddles on their backs. The debate is kicking off right about now, if you’re into that kind of thing. It’s taking place on-site at Ham’s historically dubious institution — Bill Nye explains his rationale for participating here.
19:02 // 7 months ago
January 14, 2014
John Kerry - who has come to us determined and is acting out of an incomprehensible obsession and messianic fervor - cannot teach me anything about the conflict with the Palestinians.
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon • Dismissing both the intent behind, and relevance of U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry’s role in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations. Kerry, who has visited the middle east repeatedly in the past several months on the matter, presented a security plan to Israel that the minister also defiantly condemned, calling it “not worth the paper it was written on.” He has since apologized for the comments, reportedly made in private in both the U.S. and in Israel, saying he meant no offense, while the White House termed the charge “inappropriate.” Said White House Press Secretary Jay Carney: “To question his motives and distort his proposals is not something we would expect from the defense minister of a close ally.” source
19:59 // 8 months ago
January 7, 2014
I’ve been begging them to drop the brand or fix the product. …I am who I am. I’m sorry I live on the edge and enjoy life and don’t care what people think of me. I’m sorry that the software has my name.
John McAfee (yes, that one) • Expressing his approval that Intel will be changing the name of the anti-virus software that for decades bore his own — McAfee, obviously. It’s tempting, nostalgia for a late-80’s software company turned mainstay being as it is, to call it a shame to see things come to such an unceremonious end. But seeing as both sides come away happy (and John McAfee has limited interest in ceremony), this feels a fitting end. source
20:12 // 8 months ago
Analysis charts huge gains by anti-smoking movement since ‘64
- 8MAmerican lives saved by anti-smoking efforts since the release of the Surgeon General’s report "Smoking and Health" in 1964, according to analysis published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association. It found that rates of smoking amongst American adults plunged over the course of the near fifty-year stretch, from 42% in 1964 to just 18% in 2012. In a related editorial, Center for Disease Control director Thomas Frieden hailed “tobacco control” as “described, accurately, as one of the great public health successes of the 20th century.” source
19:40 // 8 months ago
January 4, 2014
Cuomo to propose limited medical marijuana for NY hospitals
- 20New York state hospitals would be permitted to prescribe medicinal marijuana to patients with serious diseases (cancer and glaucoma among them) under a plan to be proposed by Governor Andrew Cuomo at his State of the State address this Wednesday — good news for New York’s ailing. The system would reportedly be far stricter than in other states, California as a prime example, where prescriptions can be written largely by specialized doctors, for a range of maladies, with minimal verification. Of course, this may sound surprisingly stodgy and old-hat to the people of Colorado, who ushered in their new age of legalized weed by dropping $1 million on just its first day. source
21:11 // 8 months ago
We usually don’t call something ‘life threatening.’ But yes, we want people to know that this is very much a life-threatening event.
Ken Simosko, meteorologist from Bismarck, North Dakota • Commenting on the intense so-called “polar vortex” reportedly working its way down through the US, funneling freezing North Pole air as far south as the Gulf Coast. Areas in North Dakota and Minnesota are forecasted to sustain a ghoulish wind chill of around minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit, which is, as Simosko emphasized, a dire condition for public health — such temperatures could, he said, cause the onset of frostbite in a mere five minutes. If you’re in the throes of this awful cold tonight, tomorrow, or going into the future, especially throughout the northeast and midwest, please take every precaution to keep yourself safe from the elements. source
20:46 // 8 months ago
December 17, 2013
The hateful and despicable nature of the anti-party, anti-state and unpopular crimes committed by Jang was fully disclosed in the course of the trial conducted at the special military tribunal of the DPRK Ministry of State Security. …The [death sentence] was immediately executed.
A release from North Korean state media • Describing, in lengthy and condemning terms only hinted at above, the alleged crimes of Jang Song-thaek, the uncle of dictator Kim Jong-un who was purged and executed last week. Today marks the two-year anniversary of the former dictator Kim Jong-il’s death, and it’s not hard to view last week’s high-profile execution as a show of power, to harden the permanence of the younger Kim’s ascension — one reason his uncle had to be killed, after all: “[Jang] behaved so arrogantly and insolently as unwillingly standing up from his seat and half-heartedly clapping” upon the awarding of a new military title to his strongman nephew. They pin much of the country’s dire economic straits on him, as well, a clever slight-of-hand for a ruling party and family that’s presided over decades of crippling hunger and economical decay. source
21:02 // 9 months ago
Shooting at medical facility leaves victim, gunman dead
- 2people killed, and two more injured, following a shooting at a Reno, Nevada medical facility earlier today. The gunman, himself one of the two deceased, opened fire at Renown Regional Medical Center around 2:45 this afternoon, and was ultimately dead before 3:00 via self-inflicted gunshot wound. No information regarding potential motive has yet been reported. source
20:22 // 9 months ago
November 26, 2013
U.S.-bound boat of Haitan migrants capsizes
- 30 Haitan migrants killed in the capsizing of a 40-foot vessel near the Bahamas. 110 more were saved, which speaks to the extreme, tragic dangers of such attempted treks out of Haiti — 140 people packed sailing for nine days, under abysmal conditions, on a dangerously overloaded boat. It capsized after running aground, and left the survivors clinging for hours before discovery by Bahamian authorities and the U.S. Coast Guard. source
20:34 // 9 months ago