"The fact that this problem is complex can no longer be an excuse for doing nothing:" This morning, President Obama announced the formation of what’s essentially a gun control task force—a policy team tasked with crafting concrete proposals to reduce gun violence. The group will be headed by Vice President Biden, and its proposals will be due on the President’s desk “no later than January.” Obama emphatically rejected the notion that the team is a “commission;” he insisted that it will not “be studying the issue for six months and publishing a report that gets read and then pushed aside." He also pledged to speak of the proposals, whatever they may be, in his State of the Union address next year.
20:32 // 11 months ago
CBS insta-poll has Biden up by 19 points amongst undecideds
23:40 // 1 year ago
Quick hits: Here’s what the pundits thought of tonight’s debate
- Ace of Spaces HQ "Well, Biden gave the Chris Matthews and Maddow what they asked for — an MSNBC style debate.”
- Weigel "Reading this transcript is going to be like scanning a David Mamet play. Biden never gave up the momentum he won in the first five minutes — he seems physically unable to let Ryan finish an answer, interrupting him as if he’s livetweeting to correct every factoid he dislikes. Whether or not this Biden performance helps Obama, you could sell bootleg DVDs of it to Dems for $20.”
- Sully “So this was a solid win for Biden, I’d say; as well as a competent performance by Ryan. The star? Raddatz - the woman the far right just tried to intimidate. She was tough on both, controlled the debate, and knew her shit cold. Sorry, Tucker. But you were pwned by a pro. One day, you may grow up to be a journalist half her caliber.”
- Ebert “I vote for Martha Raddatz to moderate all the debates.”
- Hot Air "[Biden’s] task tonight was to get the left excited again after Obama fell into a semi-coma in Denver, and evincing utter disdain for Ryan — grimacing, shouting, laughing inappropriately, and constant, constant interruptions, the total jackhole experience — is just what the doctor ordered. He might have irritated independents and undecideds, but probably not so much that it’ll change people’s votes.”
- Buzzfeed “The Vice Presidential debate appears unlikely to have the effect on the presidential campaign that Barack Obama’s stumbles last week did, and the performances were far more even. Ryan held his own where Obama failed. But Biden’s performance gave Democrats hungry for energy, punch, and emotional connection what they needed to end a week that had veered at times near panic.”
Now, your turn: What did you think?
23:10 // 1 year ago