4people killed in a shooting at a townhome in Aurora, Colorado, including the gunman. The police attempted to negotiate with armed assailant, still barricaded inside the home for hours this morning, until he fired on police, prompting a raid that left him dead at around 9 AM. Three other adults in the home were found dead. This is no doubt a grim and evocative incident for the people of Aurora, the same Colorado town in which a brutal shooting during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises last year, gripping national attention. source
» It gets worse: According to the families of 11 victims, the first $100,000 disbursement wasn’t even given to the victims or their families. It went to 10 local non-profits, at the direction of the Recovery Committee created to manage the donations. “We’re certain that everyone who donated their hard-earned wages intended for 100 percent of the donations to go directly to the victims,” said Tom Teves, who lost his son Alex that night, adding, “Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the case.” Gov. Hickenlooper told reporters that he was unaware of the issues with the committee, and “had not heard that some people had received nothing.” He also said his office would take a more proactive approach to monitoring the Recovery Committee going forward.
As Aurora moves forward after the tragedy of July 20, it is our hope that the entire community will participate and benefit from the citywide healing process. Many people have asked about the future of Aurora’s Century 16 theater. We want to know your thoughts. Please take a few minutes to tell us your thoughts. These comments will be shared with Cinemark for consideration in their decision making process.A message from the City of Aurora, Colo. • Asking what the city and theater owner Cinemark should do about its movie theater — where, just a month ago, a deadly shooting changed it forever. Options on the table include tearing the theater down and replacing it with a memorial, or re-opening it under a new name. For comparison’s sake, a 1984 shooting at a California McDonald’s restaurant led that company to raze the building and build a new location nearby. A memorial was eventually placed where the fast-food restaurant was initially located.
Defendant has stated that media coverage which has already occured has, in fact, interfered with both the People’s and Defendant’s investigations.Arapahoe County District Judge William Sylvester • In his response to a recent motion requesting that the judge remove a gag order placed on anyone from the University of Colorado or law enforcement community with direct knowledge of the case being built against James Holmes. He also disagreed with attorney Steve Zansberg — retained by a combination of local media outlets intent on seeing the gag order overturned — who argued that it is in the public’s interest to be able to “monitor the conduct of the judicial branch" throughout the duration of the case. So we may hear little about the case as it’s happening. (EDIT: To be clear, the “defendant” in the case likely refers to the defense, not Holmes himself.) source (via • follow)