The differences in the two scenarios are most significant for the Maryland and Delaware beaches, where the exact storm track will have a big impact on the severity of coastal flooding. For inland areas (including Washington, D.C. and Baltimore), because this storm is so large, we will experience heavy rain amounts and strong winds in either case. It doesn’t matter if the storm first crosses land in central New Jersey or Chincoteague.Capital Weather Gang’s Jason Samenow • Discussing the scenarios for more-inland residents dealing with Hurricane Sandy, including those in Baltimore and Washington, DC, whether the scenario is “very bad” (a near-direct hit in northern Delaware and southern New Jersey — 70 percent chance) or “worst case” (a direct hit in Delaware and northern Maryland — 30 percent chance) as far as a hurricane hit. Both will bring flooding and damage. One will bring worse flooding and damage than the other, and temperatures will dip as low as the 30s in some spots — which is unseasonably cool for the region.
This is not the campaign that we intended to run. I got into this for the right reasons.Washington D.C. mayor Vincent Gray • Regarding the controversy around his 2010 election, which has been shrouded in scandal in recent months. On Tuesday, one of his campaign aides pleaded guilty to accepting payment from a businessman in the city to run a “shadow” campaign — spending $650,000 in illicit funds, kept off the books, to help promote Gray’s campaign. The news comes on top of other scandals the city’s government has faced — and led to three city council members asking for Gray’s resignation.
Don’t screw this up Yahoo.
In 2007, I was...
I started tumblr when I was at one of the lowest points of...
We have more than half our system down. This is definitely going to be a multi-day outage.Pepco spokeswoman Myra Oppel • Discussing the major power outage in the Washington DC metro region, which turned off the lights for more than 2 million people last night. (Including us. Thank God for tethering. — ed) The power outage came after a short-but-powerful storm in the wake of a record heat wave on Friday — the temperature hit 104.
Very happy to announce that as of this morning, Heather and I are legally married (at least in DC). 20 years to the day after our first date.Dick Cheney’s daughter, Mary • Revealing that she got married to her longtime partner, Heather Poe, on Friday. The couple, which has two children, lives in Northern Virginia, but got married in Washington DC, one of the areas where gay marriage is legal. Congrats guys!