Rock star and self-styled party king Andrew W.K. set the Internet alight with chatter last week when he revealed that he was invited to the U.S. Embassy in Bahrain to participate in a cultural exchange. But Noel Clay, a spokesperson from the State Department, said via phone that the invitation has been rescinded.
Calling it “a mistake and not appropriate,” Clay said the program has been canceled.
We’re sad to hear it, but we can’t say we didn’t see something like this coming — though it looks like the reason might’ve been the location (Bahrain, which has been accused of anti-democracy human-rights abuses in recent years) more than the artist himself. It looks like Andrew won’t get a chance to “show the good people of Bahrain the power of positive partying” after all. Let’s hope the State Department gives him another chance elsewhere. source
Obviously there’s benefit for any access that the IAEA can get, but it doesn’t change the fact that we would consider a satellite launch a violation not only of their UN obligations but of the commitments they made to us.
U.S. Department of State spokeswoman Victoria Nuland • Confirming that, while the United States approves of North Korea’s decision to allow independent nuclear monitors from the International Atomic Energy Agency into the country, the government does not condone North Korea’s ambitions for space. The country announced plans to send a satellite into orbit on a rocket earlier Friday morning, with a planned launch window of April 12-16th, while apparently also extending the return invitations to the IAEA. source(via • follow)